Thursday, October 20, 2011

Which Laws are Important

I will start off by saying this blog post will be very controversial. If you disagree with what I am saying I ask that any disagreements be giving with Scripture to prove me wrong. Thank you.

So I just got out of the shower where I do some of my best thinking. Something that has bothered me as of late is how we as Christians have a ranking system with the laws of our earthly rulers. For example we have not problem going over the speed limit, but we don't do anything "really bad" like murder, assault, rape, use drugs, etc.. In my opinion all of those laws have the same "weight" breaking the speed limit is just as bad as the "really bad" things. I say all this by pointing to Rom. 13:1-7 and I Peter 2:13-17. There is one exception to the rule of following the government and that is when we are asked to follow rules that go against what the Bible teaches. The next part that I will talk about will be the controversial section.

One hot topic that is abounding these days is "illegal immigration." Over the last couple of years there have been a few states who have come up with some very strong laws against "illegal immigration." I have concerns over these laws mostly, because we are dealing with peoples lives, lively hood, and families. In comparing what they did, by crossing our border illegally, to the "really bad" things what they did is very small. I would say most of them are trying to escape to a better life here in the United States. Most of them that I see are working in jobs that most Americans won't do which to me is a help to our economy. Now granted there are probably some who do use the system to their advantage. I would say as a Christian I have a higher calling to help them. Throughout scripture there is call to help those in need which most "illegal immigrants" are in need. Some scriptures to read Prov. 21:13; 28:27; 31:9; Matt 25:31-46. These scriptures give some instructions on how to treat the poor. From all this I would reason that what scripture says about treating those in need goes against what the government is telling me how to treat "illegal immigrants."

Along with all this I find it is easier for the American Christian to send money to another country to "help the poor", but when they come to us we turn a cold shoulder. To me a poor "illegal immigrant" is no different than a poor American Citizen. My understanding is the Bible says I need to treat them both the same way. Many of you probably see holes in my arguments and disagree with me. I would ask that if you have disagreements consider what I have said. Look through scripture to see what it says. Then share with me what you have to say. My hope through this blog post was to get you, the reader, to think, and to go dig in God's word and see what it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment